With all that’s going on in the world, we could all use some happy stories to focus our minds on something positive for a while. Did you know that, throughout history, there have been plenty of instances where people have been aided by sea creatures? From saving lives to retrieving lost possessions, ocean animals have intervened during some hopeless-looking circumstances.
The following article covers five of these extraordinary tales.
1. When a school of bottlenose dolphins helped rescue a teenage girl: A research team was observing a school of bottlenose dolphins off the coast of LA when the dolphins abruptly stopped feeding and began moving swiftly in the opposite direction. The research team was “so accustomed to tracking these coastal metropolitan dolphins back and forth within a few hundred meters of the beach, that seeing them abruptly leave a foraging ground and change direction came as a surprise,” so they decided to follow them. Eventually, the dolphins stopped, “forming a sort of ring around a dark object in the water.” The researchers soon realized that the dark object was a teenage girl, severely hypothermic and in need of immediate help. The team pulled the young woman on board and delivered her to the rescue boat. The woman, it turns out, had attempted suicide and would have succeeded if the dolphins had not alerted the researchers and led them to her body. Who wouldn’t want to be reminded of these amazing creatures each day? With our range of gorgeous dolphin jewelry, you can keep the spirit of the dolphin close to you at all times.
2. When a beluga whale retrieved a woman’s phone: A white beluga whale living off the coast of Hammerfest, Norway became a local celebrity when it started letting residents pet, feed, and take selfies with it. The friendly whale gained international acclaim when it rescued the mobile phone of one of these residents, who had gone to the docks to see if she could meet the whale. The whole encounter was caught on video, and you can hear the delight of the onlookers as they realize what’s happening. Experts believe the whale had been trained in captivity, possibly by the Russian Navy, which could explain its extraordinary friendliness.
3. When dolphins saved a surfer from a brutal shark attack: Are dolphins our friends? If you ask surfer Todd Endris, his response would be a resounding yes! A school of dolphins intervened during a shark attack, saving Endris’s life. “The shark — a monster great white that came out of nowhere — had hit him three times, peeling the skin off his back and mauling his right leg to the bone.” Thankfully, before the shark could do any more damage, the dolphins formed a protective ring around Endris, warding off the shark so that Endris could get to shore safely. Though Endris ended up losing half of his blood and required months of physical therapy due to the shark attack, there is no doubt that he is alive today thanks to the help of the dolphins.
4. When a whale saved a scientist from a shark: Nan Hauser is a marine biologist who’s dedicated most of her life to helping protect the whales. However, she never experienced anything like she did during a 2018 research expedition to the Cook Islands, when a humpback whale approached her and wouldn’t leave her side. Nan said she was initially confused and unsure of the whale’s intentions (keep in mind this is 50,000 pound wild animal!) It wasn’t until around 10 minutes later, the whale still by her side, that she realized there was a big tiger shark nearby. Nan believes that the whale, sure of the shark’s presence, intentionally protected her. You can see her experience on tape here. If you think whales are as neat as we do, be sure and check out our whale jewelry.
5. When extra special researchers help scientists learn more about the ocean: Scientists are using sea lions and seals to help them document undersea conditions such as ocean temperatures, climate change evidence, salinity, circulation patterns and even the size of salmon populations! Because of their unique diving abilities, sea lions and seals are able to swim places that few humans have gone before. Researchers are placing temporary sensors on the creatures that will transmit the data they’re measuring to a satellite whenever their special helpers come up for air. This instance is just one example of how we are working with the sea (instead of against it) to help better understand it and protect it.
Do you have any uplifting stories featuring ocean animals? Wed love to hear them in the comments below! We hope this finds you well and that these special tales have brought a smile to your face.
The dolphin pearl pendant necklace is a playful piece of jewelry that looks utterly charming around a slim neck. Crafted in Sterling silver and embellished with sparkling Swarovski® crystals and a lustrous white Swarovski® pearl, its pendant features a graceful mermaid with a ball.
This dolphin and pearl pendant necklace is a cute and charming piece of jewelry that's as pretty as it is playful. Crafted in Sterling silver, its dolphin shaped pendant comes embellished with sparkling Swarovski® crystals.
The aqua dolphin and pearl pendant necklace is an irresistible piece of jewelry for those who like to reveal their fun side. Beautifully crafted in Sterling silver, this dolphin shaped pendant has been adorned with aquamarine hued and sparkling Swarovski® crystals.
This lovely Sterling silver dolphin abalone pendant necklace is just the thing to add a hint of ocean-inspired cuteness to your casual day look. Hung from a thin silver chain, the dolphin pendant is inlaid with exquisitely multi-colored abalone (paua) shell whose luster is enhanced with the sparkle of clear Swarovski® crystals that embellish the tail and the fins.
The caged pearl pendant necklace is an ethereal daytime accessory for the woman who knows that minimal is always classier. Finely crafted in Sterling silver and embellished with a flawless lustrous Swarovski® pearl, this necklace features a spherical cage with the pearl peeping through in all its pristine glory.
The Dolphin Necklace is a breathtaking chain and pendant style jewelry piece crafted in Sterling silver and encrusted with sparkling Swarovski® crystals.
The dolphin shimmer necklace is a beautiful jewelry piece crafted in Sterling silver and embellished with clear and sparkling Swarovski® crystals.
Swarovski® crystals of white and aquamarine adorn a fun and playful sterling silver dolphin pendant from the Ocean Collection. A delicate sterling silver Claddagh figure hangs at the center of the teardrop cutout.
Simple and elegant, this necklace is made out of sterling silver. The charming <a href="https://oceanjewelrystore.com/c/necklaces-pendants/dolphin-necklace/">dolphin pendant</a> is coated in aquamarine crystals, and it has an inverted teardrop cutout in the middle. At the center of the pendant, a silver trinity symbol hangs suitably in place.
The Ocean Collection brilliantly captures the beauty of the sea with a Swarovski® crystal encrusted <a href="https://oceanjewelrystore.com/c/necklaces-pendants/dolphin-necklace/">dolphin pendant</a>.
This gorgeous dolphin and pearl charm bead crafted in Sterling silver features a playful dolphin partially embellished with sparkling Swarovski® crystals in aquamarine hue.
This gorgeous dolphin and pearl charm bead in Sterling silver features a playful dolphin with its back and tail embellished with clear and sparkling Swarovski® crystal.
This playful dolphin and hoop charm bead is crafted in Sterling silver for impeccable finish. It features an arching dolphin jumping through a turquoise color hoop that's embellished with sparkling Swarovski® crystals for the perfect hint of dazzle.
The Rose Gold Dolphin Slider necklace looks utterly lovely with almost any cool and fun look. Beautifully crafted in sterling silver, its endearing design features a curvy edged rectangular slider bar connected from both ends to a thin silver chain.