Everyone (or almost everyone) loves the beach, but not all of us will have access to one at the moment. In a time that is still very chaotic for the majority of the world, we may want nothing more than a relaxing day at the beach, but it may not always be possible. Until you’re able to enjoy the beach safely and securely, here are some movies featuring beautiful beaches and tropical getaways to tide you over.
1. The Beach: In this 2000 adventure film starring Leonardo DiCaprio, the protagonist (DiCaprio) visits Thailand and finds himself in possession of a map, which supposedly leads to a beautiful island paradise. DiCaprio and a few new friends he met on his travels set out to find this utopia, and the movie follows their adventures as things, good and bad, unfold.
Why to watch: DiCaprio in one of his earlier roles, gorgeous scenery, and plenty of adventure.
2. Cast Away: This 2000 adventure drama film revolves around a man named Chuck Nolan (Tom Hanks) who finds himself alone on a desolate tropical island after surviving a deadly plane crash. Viewers follow Nolan’s journey as he learns how to survive in his new and unexpected home— something that’s not easy—and deals with the mental perils of isolation. Hanks won a Golden Globe for best actor for his performance.
Why to watch: Beautiful beaches, a touching friendship between man and volleyball, and —obviously— Tom Hanks.
3. Baywatch: Lots of big names star in this modern-day silver screen take on the classic TV show. A group of lifeguards are living the sweet life on their Florida beach. That is until, they uncover a drug ring and decide to take it down in order to save their beach. As you might expect, plenty of action unfurls.
Why to watch: lots of big-names star in the film, including Zac Efron, Dwayne Johnson and Priyanka Chopra, the film will make you laugh while keeping you in suspense.
4. The Shallows: This 2016 thriller will keep you on the edge of your seat as you follow experienced surfer Nancy (Blake Lively) who recently lost her mother, to a beautiful secluded beach to go surfing. While riding the waves she’s attacked by a great white shark and must swim to the safety of a rock, where she ends up stranded with the shark constantly circling around her.
Why to watch: You won’t be able to look away from this gripping tale.
5. Couples Retreat: Through a comedic series events, four couples end up going to a marriage counseling/therapy retreat set in beautiful Bora Bora. Their stay exposes cracks in each of their marriages, but as to the question of whether or not they’ll be able to repair them and move on— you’ll have to watch and see!
Why to watch: Big name stars such as Vince Vaughn, Kristin Bell, Kristin Davis, and Jason Bateman. Loads of laughs. Oh, and the setting couldn’t be more beautiful.
If you’re stuck for something to enjoy this weekend, we suggest settling in with some popcorn and one of these movies. If you’re missing the beach this summer, check out our beautiful ocean-inspired jewelry, which allows you to keep the beach close to you at all times.