Any self-respecting beach lover will agree that a fun beach picnic is one of the most enjoyable ways to relax and spend time with our loved ones. However, packing the perfect beach picnic is not an easy task.
Having had many beach picnics, we know it is super easy to forget something. Each season requires different foods and essentials, and it can be hard to keep track of everything. For example, in the summer, we want to keep things cool and fresh. Conversely, in the winter, we want them to remain hot as long as possible.
So today, we will guide you on how to pack the perfect picnic basket and the essentials you should bring along.
Spring Beach Picnic
Packing the perfect spring picnic is no mystery. Prep some sandwiches or wraps with your favorite ingredients. Also, pack some light snacks such as popcorn, trail mix, and granola bars. Refreshing options like lemonade, iced tea, or sparkling water with fresh fruit slices are great drink choices.
Pack fresh fruits such as strawberries, grapes, cherries, apricots, and kiwis. They are typical of springtime and make perfect picnic options. Fresh vegetables like baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, and snap peas are also excellent choices. Pair your fresh fruits and vegetables with cheese, crackers, hummus, and pita.
You may also like: What’s in our beach bag?
Summer Beach Picnic
We can all agree that summer is the ultimate beach season and the perfect time to host a beach picnic. However, it can also be the most challenging because keeping the food fresh is always a dare.
Pack a cooler box and ice packs when packing for a summer picnic. These essentials will keep foods and drinks fresh. You should also pack foods that will withstand the heat and frozen water bottles you prepared the night before.
Pack fresh fruits such as watermelons, cantaloupe, berries, and grapes, as they keep well and fresh for longer. Fresh vegetables like carrots, cucumber, and bell peppers are also excellent options. You can pair them with hummus, ranch, or tzatziki.
It is advisable to avoid some foods in the summer. These include mayonnaise, sushi, fish, meats, ice creams, and sodas. These foods can spoil in the sun or attract bugs common to the season.
You may also like: Dog at the beach: golden tips + safety hacks
Fall Beach Picnic
Fall is also a beautiful time to have a beach picnic. However, temperatures drop, and the challenge is to pack foods that are both filling and comforting.
Soups or stews, like chili, are excellent choices. You can also make sandwiches and wraps with seasonal ingredients or create a cheese platter with savory crackers and nuts. Additionally, you can make a fall salad with greens, apples, pecans, and dried cranberries.
For dessert, apple or pumpkin pies, tarts, or bars are great options. And to drink, pack some warm apple cider, pumpkin spice latte, or other seasonal drinks. They should keep everybody warm and happy.
Pack a cozy blanket to snuggle up in, thermal bottles, and bags to keep food and drinks. For clothing, something comfy and warm should be the ideal choice.
You may also like: 10 health benefits of living by the sea
Winter Beach Picnic
When you think about a beach picnic, winter might not seem like the perfect time. However, enjoying some time at the beach in the winter can be a unique experience.
Pack warm and hearty foods like chili, hot dogs, and baked potatoes. Also, pack hot drinks like tea or hot chocolate to warm you up. Bring insulated containers to keep your food hot and prevent it from getting cold too quickly. And for dessert, ice cream is the perfect winter treat.
A pro tip: remember to check the weather forecast and dress suitably. Bring warm blankets to sit on and wrap yourself up in. You can also bring hot packs for extra warmth.
You may also like: The best winter beach activities to unleash the fun
Tips for all seasons
When it comes to picnics, there are some essentials you should always bring along, no matter the season.
- Stay sand-free: bring along a picnic or beach blanket.
- Sun protection: sunscreen and sunglasses are a must all year round, even during colder seasons.
- Keep the bugs away: insect repellent will keep you protected from annoying bugs.
- Let there be music: portable speakers are great ways to create a vibe. But remember to keep it at a volume that won’t annoy other beach users.
- Don’t forget the utensils: pack plates, cups, napkins, and silverware.
- Don’t forget the easy-to-forget: cutting board, sharp knife, corkscrew, or bottle opener.
- Don’t leave anything behind: bring a trash bag or bin to dispose of your garbage, and keep the beach clean.
- Level up: Bring beach chairs and a folding table (it will help you keep your food sand-free).
- Always sanitize your hands: pack hand wipes and sanitizes to keep your hands clean.
- Avoid cross-contamination of food: keep your food in separate bags. It will ensure they won’t contaminate each other.
- Keep hydrated: pack plenty of water.
- Avoid crushed food and fly-away bag situations: prefer Tupperware over plastic bags.
- Be ahead of casualties: pack a first aid kit in case of accidents or injuries.
- Better be safe: make a checklist of everything you need.
- Know the rules: if you plan to bring alcohol, check if the beach allows for it.
You may also like: How to make your home feel like summer year-round
The Shore Line
Spread your picnic blanket and display your carefully prepared finger foods, fresh fruits, vegetables, and beverages. After all, no matter the time of the year, having a beach picnic is always a sweet treat. Now that you know all the essentials, pack your picnic basket and hit the beach, baby!
Make the Ocean Part of You
Bring that great ocean feeling with you wherever you are with our sentimental Ocean jewelry designs.