With distancing measures in place throughout most of the world, it’s safe to say that life as we know it has taken a hiatus. We’ve had to adapt to a new way of living— one that includes more time at home and indoors than we ever thought we’d have. We’re also forced to get more creative with our activities. Taking a trip to the theater, visiting the museum, or even lounging casually on the beach has become a thing of the past for the majority of us.
We have been forced to become more innovative with ways to occupy our time. If you’re missing those beach days as much as we are, we recommend having a beach-inspired picnic at home. During the next sunny day, create a seaside picnic experience, whether outside or in!
The following is what you’ll need:
1. A picnic blanket: Pick a sunny spot in your yard or a spacious spot indoors to position your blanket. This blanket will act as the “table” for your diners. If you’re outdoors, you may like an umbrella to help shield you from the sun (and add to the beach vibe). Since you don’t have the softness of the sand to cushion you, you may also want a pillow to sit on.
2. Games: Part of what’s so great about being at the beach is the fun you can have while building sandcastles or splashing in the water. While it may be difficult to perfectly recreate these experiences, you can still enjoy some rousing games during your DIY beach picnic.
Here are some ideas:
— Drawing with chalk
—Beach ball volleyball
Indoor or outdoor games:
3. Easy-to-eat food: One of the key elements to any successful beach picnic is fresh and convenient food. Who wants to be fiddling with forks and knives when you’re wet from the water and have the beach breeze blowing through your hair? We think it’s best to keep things simple, which is why we love sandwich wraps or roll ups along with fresh fruit when at the beach, or for your beach picnic at home. A meal that’s easy, light, and delicious! We recommend watermelon if you can get it—a fruit that will immediately put you in the summer spirit. Follow with popsicles or snow cones if possible for that extra summery feel.
4. Beachy mocktails: Slip into that laid-back island feeling with a tropical drink the whole family will enjoy! There are many tropical mocktail recipes out there so you’re sure to find a beverage you’ll love.
5. Accessories: In addition to your picnic blanket and umbrella, here are a few more accessories you may find useful for setting the beach “mood” during your picnic:
—A wading pool
—A beachball or two
—A cooler to store your food and drinks
—A sand table with buckets and accessories
—A beach hat, sunglasses and swimwear
—A good beach read
—Speakers for some beach music
—Sunscreen (for sun protection, and for that scent that just says summer at the beach).
While our lives may be very different than normal at the moment, we are intent on helping you make the best of things. The above recommendations for an at-home beach picnic will get you started in the right direction. If you’re missing the beach, be sure to check out our wide range of beautiful ocean jewelry so that you can keep the magic of the ocean (and the beach) with you at all times. We hope you enjoy!